Low back pain affects nearly 80% of American adults at some point in their life and can present not only physical but also financial pain. The first stop for many people when they begin to experience back pain is often their primary care medical doctor. While your primary care physician is knowledgeable on the issue of back pain, they are not specialized experts in this area.
Chiropractors, on the other hand, are experts of the neck and spine, giving them a big advantage over a medical doctor when it comes to diagnosing and treating conditions in the neck or spine. This may seem like a fairly obvious reason why you should visit a chiropractor first when experiencing low back pain, but it’s not the only reason. Here are five more reasons to make a chiropractor your first visit when suffering from back pain:
- Chiropractic is less expensive than medical care – Cost is an important factor for any product or service, but especially so for health care. Chiropractic often comes at a significantly lower expense to the patient. A chiropractic visit can start as low as $40 even without insurance. Furthermore, most insurance plans are accepted at a majority of chiropractic offices, including here at Advanced Chiropractic & Rehab, Inc.
- Chiropractic helps prevent future back pain – Chiropractic aims not to treat the symptoms, such as pain, but rather the underlying factor causing the pain. Thanks to this approach, studies have found that chiropractic is effective reducing the recurrence of back pain going forward.
- Chiropractic is effective for acute pain – Not only can chiropractic help prevent back pain, but it can also help relieve pain that has recently started, known as acute back pain. A study of patients who were suffering from acute back pain concluded that spinal manipulation therapy provided patients with pain relief that lasted up to six weeks.
- Chiropractic is effective for chronic pain – If you’ve been suffering from back pain for an extended period of time, chiropractic can help you too. Even if you’ve had back pain for over a year, visiting a chiropractor may be the best route for you, as they may be able to provide pain relief as quick as just a few visits.
- Chiropractic doesn’t require medications – With over 150,000 Americans dying from the opioid epidemic each year, it’s more important now than ever before to avoid possibly addictive pain medications. Chiropractic focuses on a wholistic approach which focuses on correcting the issue causing the pain instead of masking the pain with dangerous pain relievers.
Whether you’ve been suffering from back pain for years, it’s something that is brand new to you, or you just want to be proactive, chiropractic is a great way to treat low back pain. The reasons listed above are just a few of the many reasons chiropractic is the best way to treat low back pain. Chiropractors are experts of the neck and spine, so why would you go anywhere for treatment of that area of the body?
If you or someone you know is considering starting chiropractic care, give Advanced Chiropractic & Rehab Inc. a call today at (330) 726-7404 to schedule a free consultation to see how we can help. We have been servicing the Youngstown and Mahoning Valley area since 2001 with convenient locations in Boardman, Hubbard, and Kinsman. At Advanced Chiropractic & Rehab Inc, we are a multi-disciplinary rehabilitation group that treats work comp injuries, whiplash, sports injuries and specializes in much more than just low back pain.