The Holiday season is stressful for just about all of us. Between the shopping, baking, cooking, and planning, there’s so much to do to close out the year and bring in the new year. It can be a lot to handle for any of us, but even more so for those of us who suffer chronic pain. If you suffer from chronic pain such as migraines or fibromyalgia, the added stress of the Holiday season can greatly increase the pain you experience.
While we here at Advanced Chiropractic & Rehab, Inc can’t do anything to help you with the stress of shopping, baking, cooking, and planning of the Holiday season, allow us to offer you five helpful tips to prevent added pain from ruining the Holidays this year.
- Set your priorities for the Holidays
- There is so much that you can do during the Holidays but you can’t do it all and you shouldn’t try. Concentrate on the events that are most meaningful to you and your family. Focus on those events, enjoy them, and don’t worry about other, less meaningful events. You’ll be surprised how much more enjoyable you’ll find the events you do attend when you don’t have the stress of a whole list of other events breathing down your neck.
- Take time for yourself
- With busy Holiday schedules, sometimes we can forget to take a break from all of the Holiday hoopla. It’s extremely important to set aside time for yourself to decompress and relax. This is specifically important for those among us for which the Holiday season is an emotional time of year.
- In addition to relieving stress, exercise has been proven to relieve pain from migraines, fibromyalgia, sciatica, and whiplash. Exercise also speeds up the recovery time from injuries and pain conditions. Chiropractors can prescribe you an exercise plan that can safely and effectively reduce pain and stress.
- Be mindful of your nutrition
- The Holiday season is full of temptations from cookies, cakes, pies, alcohol, and other food and drinks that are not ideal for your nutrition. Often times, we can overeat due thanks to stress, especially when there are so many delicious treats in the house during the Holiday season. Developing a healthy diet and ensuring that you consume a sufficient amount of vitamin C and omega 3 fatty acids can aid your body in handling the Holiday stress. Your chiropractor can assist you in developing the appropriate nutritional diet for you.
- Get chiropractic adjustments
- A study diet of chiropractic adjustments can help reduce pain and stress this Holiday season. A study from 2010 shows that chiropractic adjustments help reduce levels of cortisol, which is a stress hormone known to cause inflammation and irritation. This makes finding time in your busy Holiday season to get regularly scheduled chiropractic adjustment crucial to beating Holiday stress this year.
As the Holidays come and go, it’s important to know that pain and stress don’t need to be part of your Holidays. Follow the five tips presented above and you can have a pain-free and stress-free Holiday season full of time spent with family, giving your loved ones gifts they’ll love, and enjoying some much needed time off work. In the end, that’s all any of us really want for the Holidays, isn’t it?
If you are feeling stressed out this Holiday season, give Advanced Chiropractic & Rehab Inc. a call today at (330) 726-7404 to schedule a free consultation to see how we can help. We have been servicing the Youngstown and Mahoning Valley area since 2001 with convenient locations in Boardman, Hubbard, and Kinsman. At Advanced Chiropractic & Rehab Inc, we are a multi-disciplinary rehabilitation group that treats work comp injuries, whiplash, sports injuries and specializes in much more than just low back pain.